Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English nameBayfield
Gaelic nameCinn Dèis
Meaning

Location and type of place name

LocationBlack Isle & Mid-Ross
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891Nigg Parish
County post 1891Ross and Cromarty ~ Ros is Cromba
Topographical feature typeSettlement ~ Tuineachadh
Post townCROMARTY
Postcode areaIV11
OS sheet number438
OS grid referenceNH809729
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaningG ?cinn ~ heads; dias ~ corn
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes
Sources
W: Kindess c. 1590 Pont map 20 [Gordon]
Wester Kyndeis 1601 Retours (Ross and Cromarty) no. 15
Wester Kindeis 1604 Retours (Ross and Cromarty) no. 18
terras de Eister Kindeis 1631 RMS v no. 1757
Kindeis Wester 1652 Retours (Ross and Cromarty) no. 102
Kindiss 1747-55 Roy
Bayfield 1820 Thomson
Hill = Hill of Bayfield 1880 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Loch = Bayfield Dam 1880 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
G. Cinndéis mhòr, or Cinndéis Rob’son shuas Watson 1904, 53
Cinn Dèis Bhig or Cinn Dèis Robson Shuas Mac an Tàilleir 2003
Ankerville = Cinn Dèis Bheag TSR
Additional infoApplied to: Bayfield Hill (NH824716) this is a micro-settlement on Hill of Nigg, and Bayfield Loch (NH821718)
Watson 1904, 53: Formerly Meikle Kindeace ; G. Cinndéis mhòr, or Cinndéis Rob’son shuas, Wester Kindeace of Robertson, from William Robertson, a burgess of Inverness, who bought it and the following in 1629. The name was changed to Bayfield by John Mackenzie, commander of the ‘Prince Kaunitz,’ who bought the estate about 1788 (v. Nevile Reid’s ’Earls of Ross.”).
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011