Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English namePrince Charlie’s Cave
Gaelic nameUamh a’ Phrionnsa
Meaningthe prince’s cave

Location and type of place name

LocationElgol
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Inverness-shire ~ Siorrachd Inbhir Nis
Topographical feature type
Post townIsle of Skye
Postcode areaIV46
OS sheet number
OS grid referenceNG516124
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning 
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes 
SourcesThis name was gathered as part of a local research project on the place-names of Strath, Isle of Skye and was published in a booklet by SNH and AÀA. The Following quote appears in that booklet:

“South of Elgol close to Prince Charlie’s Cave, or Uamh a’ Phrionnsa, is Port an Luig Mhòir, ‘the port of the big hollow’, which was at one time also known simply as An Lag Mòr, ‘the big hollow’. It is from here that Bonnie Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stuart) was rowed to the mainland in 1746.”

Gaelic in the Landscape: Place-names of Strath, Isle of Skye (Scottish Natural Heritage 2015): 13
Additional info 
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011