Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English namePort an Luig Mhòir
Gaelic namePort an Luig Mhòir
Meaningthe port of the big hollow

Location and type of place name

LocationHeaste
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Inverness-shire ~ Siorrachd Inbhir Nis
Topographical feature typePort ~ Port
Post townIsle of Skye
Postcode areaIV46
OS sheet number
OS grid referenceNG519123
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning 
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes 
SourcesThis name was gathered as part of a local research project on the place-names of Strath, Isle of Skye and was published in a booklet by SNH and AÀA. The Following quote appears in that booklet:

“South of Elgol close to Prince Charlie’s Cave, or Uamh a’ Phrionnsa, is Port an Luig Mhòir, ‘the port of the big hollow’, which was at one time also known simply as An Lag Mòr, ‘the big hollow’. It is from here that Bonnie Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stuart) was rowed to the mainland in 1746. The place was also known as Camas Eiceadail, ‘the bay of Eiceadal’. Eiceadal is a name of Norse origin and was recorded as Camisketel by the travel writer Thomas Pennant when he visited in 1772.”

Gaelic in the Landscape: Place-names of Strath, Isle of Skye (Scottish Natural Heritage 2015): 13
Additional infoAlternative forms:
An Lag Mòr, the big hollow
Camas Eiceadail, the bay of Eiceadal
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011