Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English namePorter's House
Gaelic nameTaigh a’ Phortair
Meaningthe porter's house

Location and type of place name

LocationArisaig
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Inverness-shire ~ Siorrachd Inbhir Nis
Topographical feature typeDomestic Building ~ Togalach Dachaigheil
Post townLochailort
Postcode areaPH39
OS sheet number
OS grid referenceNM629852
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning 
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes 
SourcesThis name was gathered as part of a local research project on the place-names of the Rough Bounds of Lochaber and was published in a booklet by SNH and AÀA. The Following quote appears in that booklet:

“Taigh a’ Phortair, or the Porter’s House was built in 1887 and the Porter, Donald MacKinnon and his family took up residence there. Donald was married to Mary MacVarish, a sister of Dòmhnall Dubh Làidir. Donald served in this capacity for over 40 years and when he retired the position was taken over by his son John or, ‘Iain a’ Phortair’. With the opening of the railway in 1901, Iain’s services were no longer required as at Rhu. Rejecting the offer of a similar post at MacBrayne’s Glasgow depot, he elected to remain at home, running the family croft and bringing up his young family. He died at Rhu in 1938 at the age of 85 years. Nowadays this is at the end of the public part of the coastal road.”

Gaelic in the Landscape: The Rough Bounds of Lochaber (Scottish Natural Heritage 2013): 28
Additional info 
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011