Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English nameRhu Breac
Gaelic nameAn Rubha Breac
Meaningthe speckled promontory

Location and type of place name

LocationArisaig
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Inverness-shire ~ Siorrachd Inbhir Nis
Topographical feature typeHeadland ~ Rubha
Post townLochailort
Postcode areaPH39
OS sheet number
OS grid referenceNM626857
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning 
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes 
SourcesThis name was gathered as part of a local research project on the place-names of the Rough Bounds of Lochaber and was published in a booklet by SNH and AÀA. The Following quote appears in that booklet:

“Rumach or An Rumach is another neighbouring farm of Rhu, comprising the area of Rumach Hill or Cnoc an Rumaich, Rhu Breac or An Rubha Breac and An Tòrr Mòr. This district bordered both sides of the road which runs parallel with Loch nan Ceall. The substantial steading, in good condition, which remains today at Rhumach, was built by Archie MacDonald, (1756 -1829) although it may have been renovated at a later date. In the clearance of 1843, twenty families were evicted from here.”

Gaelic in the Landscape: The Rough Bounds of Lochaber (Scottish Natural Heritage 2013): 28
Additional info 
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011