Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English namePort na h-Eathair
Gaelic namePort na h-Eathair
Meaningthe port of the boat`

Location and type of place name

LocationArisaig
Local authorityHighland ~ A’ Ghàidhealtachd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Inverness-shire ~ Siorrachd Inbhir Nis
Topographical feature typePort ~ Port
Post townLochailort
Postcode areaPH39
OS sheet number
OS grid referenceNM638853
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning 
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes 
SourcesThis name was gathered as part of a local research project on the place-names of the Rough Bounds of Lochaber and was published in a booklet by SNH and AÀA. The Following quote appears in that booklet:

“Just along the road we come to Port na h-Eathair, ‘port of the small fihing boat’ on Loch nan Ceall. This was the ancient landing place before the later jetty was built near Taigh a’ Phortair. Prior to the coming of the railway in 1901, Rhu was the major landing place for a wide area and a busy spot. The old landing place at Port na h-Eathair was frequented by Russian and Latvian boats amongst others, coming to buy cured herring and other goods. Passengers, also, embarked and disembarked from here. Later, MacBrayne’s steamers delivered and collected passengers and goods to the area. The ruins of the ferry store can still be seen. The landing place was merely a flat rock and the goods landed there had to be carried up the foreshore to the track.”

Gaelic in the Landscape: The Rough Bounds of Lochaber (Scottish Natural Heritage 2013): 30
Additional infoThis place-name was sourced locally and is not found on any maps.
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011