|Sources||G. Rubha, a point of land projecting into the water. To be officially called Rhu in future (Press announcement of 7th March, 1927). This parish was formed by separation from Rosneath in 1648, and owes its existence mainly to Aulay M'Aulay of Ardencaple, who undertook not only to erect the church but to furnish land for a manse and glebe.: Irving, Place-names of Dumbartonshire, 49
There is a marked promontory here, opposite Rosneath.