Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English nameBowmore
Gaelic nameBogh Mòr
Meaningthe big bend

Location and type of place name

LocationIslay, Inner Hebrides
Local authorityArgyll & Bute ~ Earra-Ghàidheal & Bòd
Parish post 1891
County post 1891Argyll & Bute ~ Earra-Ghàidheal & Bòd
Topographical feature typeSettlement ~ Tuineachadh
Post townISLE OF ISLAY
Postcode areaPA43
OS sheet number352
OS grid referenceNR312597
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaningG bogh ~ bow, bend; mòr ~ big, large
Element typesize

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notesPerhaps G nom. sg. bogh, ‘bow, bend’ + G nom. sg. masc. adj. mòr, ‘big’ = ‘the big bend’
Sources
Bowmore 1801 Langland’s map of Argyleshire
Bowmore 1849-1855 Hydrographic Office: Islay, Jura, Colonsay etc.
Bogha Mòr, `big reef' Mac an Tàilleir
Additional infoMacniven, A. 2006, p. 104: FN124 The planned village of Bowmore was founded in 1768 by Daniel Campbell of Shawfield, then laird of Islay (RCAHMS 1984:284-287). There is no record of settlement at ‘Bowmore’ before this point.
The lack of an article suggests this may be a name of Norse origin.
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011